Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hobie



Gary and I got up at 5 this morning
(normal for him...not me) and discovered
that Hobie, having been at the vet all
day yesterday and on pain meds, was
laying on his side, under my desk, pretty
unresponsive and super shallow breathing.

I called MVRS, the Dr.s come in at 9.
Knowing that Anderson Lakes doesn't open
until 7, I grabbed an old beach towel and
set him in the front seat of my car
(he never moved or made a sound), and
drove to the emergency vet here in Eden Prairie.
I am so lucky to have such talent so close
to me...these are all spectacular people!

It's dark, I pull up to a very large, well
lit clinic. I see that I am the only one
there and I walk around, get Hobie out, walk
to the door and hit the buzzer.
I'm then greeted and I begin to sob.
"This is Hobie, and he is very sick.", I said.
"He has a very thick file at Anderson Lakes and
is a fan favorite at MVRS as well."

We went into another room..no waiting, and
they had me fill out some simple paperwork.
Not having my cheaters along and having tear-filled
eyes while resting my arm on Hobie, this was
a nasty task.

Right now they are warming him up, giving him
some oxygen and ran an IV for some dextrose
(his sugar was super low and his temp was 10
degrees too low...signs of being septic-a sign
that he may have a perforated bowel).
I'll know more in a little while.

MVRS Dr.s get in at 9am and I'm certain that
we will be moving him later this morning.

1 comment:

WilMo said...

Susan -

I am so sorry to hear about Hobie. I know he will always have a special place in your heart!

Amy