Saturday, June 28, 2008

Mom update.

My mom remains in ICU where she spent the
night last night. A general surgeon came in
around 6 and determined that she, more than
likely, had a perforated ulcer in the bowel.
YUCK, right?! Yep, YUCK.

This is totally unrelated to her back surgery.
Altho' it seems suspicious, we were quickly
educated on the probability of this happening
to our mom and the timing was just that. Timing.

She was admitted on Wednesday for a simple
Laminectomy. My mom, being the comic relief
expert that she is, said upon admission.."Oh, I
didn't know I was getting new counter tops!
"WHOA! Stop Mom! You're killin' me!

By Friday morning, my mom was developing pain
in her abdomen. This later got much, much worse
and so they took her down for not 1 but 2
separate CT scans and discovered that she had
a huge air pocket behind her diaphragm causing
horrific pain...I mean, forGET about the back
surgery recovery and morphine for a minute..
my mom is in full on, screaming,"don't touch me!"
pain. This is just awful! To sit idly by and
listen to my mom writhe in pain...unrelated to
her back. they sent for Dr. Osee (sp?) and he
took one, tender touch to her belly and said,
"we need to do surgery, now."

We (Cindy, my mom's sister was with me) started
the phone call brigade and quickly ran out of battery.
4 siblings and friends and my uncle.
Cindy and I went to dinner when they took mom
down for surgery. We needed a break and a little
comic relief of our own. So we had a little
giggle fest and wine with our dinner and returned
to the hospital. Soon after, Mike, my younger
bother popped his head in the door of the
family room on mom's floor. We sat at the computer
there and watched some of my slide shows and
I introduced them to "Twitter".

Around 9 o'clock, Dr. Osee came in the family
room and I was shocked to see him so soon.
Successful surgery but not out of the woods.
It was indeed, perforated ulcer and he patched
that up. She will need to stay in the hospital
for the next 5 to 7 days. Think I'll bring her
own pillow down there

This morning, I just learned that they are taking
her off of the ventilator (she was having a tough
time breathing last night) which, of course, is
awesome! Mike is there now and the others will
be there soon. I will be shooting a wedding all
day so I will return to the hospital tomorrow.

Feel free to check my twitter as I will be updating
today remotely!

Thank you for all your prayers and support and to
Marty Noll, you are such a champion of medical
liaison-ness! Yes, I think that should be a word! :)
So tell Zach



and Ava



that 9 is doing Grrrrreat!

No comments: