Friday, June 26, 2009

So Sad...

King of Pop and Farrah Fawcett pass away.
Now, while Farrah Fawcett's passing away yesterday
after her 3 year battle of anal cancer was,
to quote EVERYONE, "expected" this does by no
means make me feel any less about her passing.
As a child of the 60's/70's I idolized her right
along with the rest of America (I will do my best
to scan in some shots of me sporting the "Farrah"
hair do soon!). I still can't believe that she
only spent a year on "Charlie's Angels". For some
reason it seemed to me to span more time.

The Michael Jackson news was a smack in the face.
This is up there with Diana, Elvis just to name 2.
I watched the NBC Dateline Special last night
and it made me really think. Perhaps because I am
getting older, or maybe just because as we age we
look more closely at our own mortality, our health,
our genes, science...or all of it.
As I watched the piece on Michael Jackson
it occurred to me...Holy Crap! He was only 50!
This can only spur you in the path of righteousness
when you are 47.

When I quit smoking, over 6 years ago (really, no
applause necessary), I knew that I was embarking on a
longer life. A life to be shared with those whom I
love...longer. I, to this day, don't know how much longer
but the choice was mine and I made it.

When we make healthy choices for ourselves they aren't
always easy but with all the research out there and
our family health histories staring us in the face,
these decisions, at some point, seem simple enough, right?

I am a Christian first, and everything else second.
I know that God has a plan for my life and yours and
I also know that I/we am/are responsible for heeding
God's promptings (not to mention the text on the side
of a pack of cigarettes). This does not mean that if I
follow the rules I'll live a long life...that would be
irresponsible of me...history is a great teacher.

Life teaches many lessons, that's God's job. It's our
job to show up, sit up and pay attention.

Yesterday's losses prove that God is in control, nothing is
forever, and to treat everyday as if it was your last.

These two icons (and American historical figures) will
live on in all of us as I plan to grab life, hang on
and pray that God allows me the opportunity to leave
a legacy of my own.

Please do what you can to refrain from the media swarm
of Michael Jackson's children as they are innocent
victims and young lives suffering a loss of a beloved
father.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble....
God Bless and welcome back to the US Nicki & Gemma!

No comments: