Monday, May 21, 2007

now i lay me down to sleep...

i am posting late today because
today i was called to photograph my first
session for nilmdts.

heather called several times over the weekend
and when I was finally able to get back to her
she told me of a family that had just heard the
baby's heart beat this passed wednesday and then
it was gone. i committed to the session and the
nurses at HCMC were given my cell # so i layed
it on my night stand thinking that either sometime
last night or today i'd get the call.
it came at 4:10 this morning.
so i stumbled around in the dark until gary flipped
the switch for over the headboard and i quickly
got dressed and grabbed my equipment that I had
prepared last night and headed out the door.
dark. quiet. no traffic. i had the radio tuned
to ktis and i even turned that off. i needed to
prepare myself for this as it was my very first
session with this organization.
i prayed that God would give me the courage to
preform this job and that He would make it possible
for me to face this family in such a grief filled
time. He did.

i was up on the labor & delivery floor before 5 am.
the baby (Bishop) was in a tiny room all to himself
being prepared by mid-wife "jen". the nurses were so
happy to see me and could not believe that there
was even such an organization out there that does
this sort of thing.

i knew what to expect when i got there so when
I first layed eyes on Bishop I was calm, focused
and prepared mentally as well as physically.

they induced the mother earlier and she gave birth
around 4:30 so the timing was good. Bishop still
had good color.
But that was soon to change. this I was also aware
of so I worked quickly. Jen was really terrific!

when I completed what I could there in that small
room, jen wheeled Bishop around the corner to the
room where the family was awaiting not only the baby,
but me as well. They were all so appreciative to
see me and have me there to do what they couldn't.
Bishop's older (17 year old) sister was trying to
hold it together. It had been a long night for
everyone.

mom was not certain that she wanted to hold him
and I let her know that I was not there to rush
her into anything and to take her time.
the grandmother was ready so I started with her.
soon after, the mother was ready and so i began
to get some really nice images of the mother, father
and Bishop together.
then the sister decided that she would want a moment
with him too.
i'd love to post some other images but at the same time in
an effort to protect the privacy of this grieving family
i'll simply post his sweet little hands...




i have ordered the images to be sent on to the
family..WHCC does a "rush" for no charge which is
wonderful in that many times these families use
one or more of these photos for the funeral.


as i drove home i was amazed by the sunrise.
i'm still here! it'a new day for some and for
others, it's the first in a long stretch of days
to healing. i know that the images that i captured
today will speed this process. i find great hope and
peace in that.


I was home by 6 am

No comments: